News
Fr. John G. Valenta, SJ
Former Rockhurst University Chemistry Professor and Counselor Fr. Jack Valenta

July 12, 2018 - Father John “Jack” Valenta, SJ, died July 10, 2018, in St. Louis. He was 95 years old, a Jesuit for 68 years and a priest for 56 years.

Fr. Valenta’s life of service will be celebrated in a Memorial Mass on Wednesday, July 18, at 7:00 p.m. in the Jesuit Hall Community Chapel in St. Louis. He donated his body to the Saint Louis University School of Medicine. 

John “Jack” Valenta was born in St. Louis Aug. 1, 1922, one of four sons of Rudolph J. Valenta and Helen Mary Richard Valenta. In addition to his parents, he was predeceased by his brother Rudolph C. Valenta. His brothers William T. and Richard B. Valenta survive.

Valenta graduated from both St. Louis University High School and Saint Louis University, where he earned both a B.S. in mathematics (1944) and a B.S. in chemistry (1947). Between degrees, he served as a deck officer in the U.S. Navy (1943-46) during World War II, primarily in the Pacific theater. Following his discharge from the Navy, he worked in sales before entering the Society of Jesus at St. Stanislaus Seminary in Florissant, Mo., on Aug. 8, 1949. He pronounced first vows two years later and was ordained a priest on June 12, 1962, at St. Mary’s College, St. Marys, Kansas. 

Fr. Valenta spent most of his apostolic life at Rockhurst University in Kansas City, Mo. He taught chemistry for more than 20 years (1964-86) and was rector of the Jesuit community (1975-80). In 1986, at the age of 64, he decided he could benefit his community as a counselor. After a two-year program at the University of Missouri in Kansas City, he returned to Rockhurst University and worked in counseling for eight years. 

In 1996 he returned to his hometown of St. Louis to serve as chaplain at the Fusz Pavilion, the community for senior, infirm Jesuits. He also served as substitute priest in parishes around the area. He continued in this work until 2011, when he retired to an assignment of praying for the Church and Society. He is remembered for his kindness and attentiveness to the apostolic needs of his community. At the time of his death, he was the senior member of the Fusz Pavilion community.

In addition to his two bachelor’s degrees, Fr. Valenta also studied philosophy and completed a Ph.D. in chemistry at Saint Louis University. He studied theology at St. Mary’s College in St. Marys, Kansas. 

Memorial gifts may be made to the USA Central and Southern Province of the Society of Jesus at 4511 West Pine Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63108 or through this website.  





Recent News

July 12, 2018 - Twelve new Alum Service Corps (ASC) members committed to a year of service at six Jesuit schools of the U.S. Central and Southern (UCS) Province.

June 27, 2018 - The quest for reconciliation drew more than 80 Jesuit partners in mission to Regis University in Denver in June. Attendees were challenged to “see, think and act” in new ways to create change and reconciliation in their work and in the broader world.

June 13, 2018 — Jesuit organizations, including the Jesuit Conference Office of Justice and Ecology, are "appalled at this ill-conceived decision."

June 13, 2018 - The Jesuit Conference of Canada and the United States has invited Fordham University to create a new Initiative for Future Formation to reimagine Jesuit studies.

June 1, 2018 - This year, five Jesuits of the USA Central and Southern Province will be ordained to the priesthood during two liturgies, one in St. Louis and one in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

May 31, 2018 — The Jesuits of Canada and the U.S. join our brother Jesuits and the Nicaraguan bishops in denouncing recent violence in Nicaragua.

The Jesuits of the USA Central and Southern (UCS) Province have joined with the Jesuit Conference and the Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities to endorse the Catholic Climate Declaration.

view all news

Search news

Publications






White House Jesuit Retreat Center
The White House Jesuit Retreat Center is located on a beautiful 80-acre campus on the bluffs of the Mississippi River in St. Louis.