The Jesuits USA Central and Southern Province seeks a creative, tech-savvy writer to join the communications team as communications specialist. Reporting to the provincial assistant for communications, the specialist will assist in the planning, development and management of communications to both internal and external audiences.
The specialist’s primary responsibility will be content creation, including researching, interviewing and writing in various styles, for a variety of audiences. This includes updating the website and posting to social media sites.
The specialist will assist with the province’s outreach to men considering entering the Society of Jesus.
The province is a bilingual organization. Therefore, fluency in both English and Spanish is preferred, though not required.
This is considered an entry-level position, with commensurate salary. Remote work is a possibility.
Communications – Magazine, Website, Internal Newsletter, Social Media
- This is a writing-intensive position. Candidate must be able to write in a variety of styles based on objectives, audience and medium.
- Proactively research events, initiatives and people to feature on website and social media and stay abreast of social media trends.
- Update and maintain province’s WordPress-based website.
- Manage province social media channels.
- Analyze data from website and social media and help develop a strategy to improve province communications.
- Take photographs and video; edit both as needed.
- Organize shared digital folders.
- Work closely with vocations office to promote vocations to the Society of Jesus via the province website and on social media, including YouTube.
- Create print and digital resources to support vocation promotion, including writing email copy.
- Assist with development activities as needed, including website maintenance and some project management responsibilities.
- Excellent writing, editing, proofreading and verbal communication skills.
- Strong project and time management/organizational skills.
- Comfort with writing about religious or spiritual topics.
- Must be a creative, flexible, results-oriented self-starter with attention to details.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including diplomacy and discretion.
- Must be able to capture appropriate tone as well as message for relevant audiences.
- Ability to operate within fixed deadlines while balancing multiple priorities, and to manage projects independently or with minimal oversight.
- Bachelor’s degree or comparable experience.
- Working knowledge of MS Office and Adobe Creative Suite preferred.
- Photo and video-editing experience preferred.
- Familiarity with communication and fundraising strategy helpful.
- Proficiency in Spanish preferred but not required.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment with good collaboration skills.
To Apply: Please send your resume and cover letter to Therese Fink Meyerhoff, provincial assistant for communications, email@example.com.
We invite you to visit the Jesuits of Canada and the United States job site.