Note: The trip described below is currently full, and we are no longer accepting registrations. We are leaving the description for those who’ve registered – or might want to join us in the future.
The Jesuits USA Central and Southern Province invites you to walk where St. Ignatius walked and pray where St. Ignatius prayed, all in the company of a Jesuit priest and other like-minded pilgrims.
The Footsteps of St. Ignatius Pilgrimage will begin in Madrid, Spain, on March 1 and end in Barcelona on March 11. In between, you will visit the Spanish locales of Toledo, Ávila, Segovia, San Sebastian, Pamplona, Zaragoza, Manresa and Montserrat.
Father Brian Christopher, SJ, superior of the Jesuit Community in Belize, will lead the pilgrimage and preside at private Masses each day.
Everything listed here is included in your cost!
- Round trip flights from DFW or STL
- Daily breakfast and dinner w/wine
- Daily Mass, celebrated by Fr. Brian Christopher, SJ
- First-class, centrally located hotels
- Group transports to/from airports
- 24-hour tour director
- Individualized headsets for every tour
- Professionally-guided city and museum tours
- Free Wi-Fi on GLOBUS motorcoaches
- El Greco Museum
- Lots of tapas and sangria!
- Flamenco presentation at dinner
- Private guided tour of the Prado Museum
- Panoramic city tours by motorcoach
- Private guided tour of the Goya Museum
- Gaudi’s Park Güell
- Monserrat rack railway and Aeri Funicular
If you are interested in learning more or reserving your spot, contact Paula K. Parrish, CFRE, chief advancement officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (817)-528-2298.
You can also register online at https://custom.globusfamily.com/payments/ (Reservation Tour Code is BIAU 30301T)
Register by Aug. 31, 2022, with a $550 deposit ($250 land/ $300 air)
Full payment per person due no later than Dec. 20, 2022
Only 34 spots are available, so be sure to reserve yours soon!
The cost is $5,708 per person double occupancy (land and air) from St. Louis
The cost is $5,496 per person double occupancy (land and air) from Dallas/Fort Worth
Optional Single Supplement: $358
Optional Travel Insurance: $299 pp
Land Only: $3,538
NOTE: You may arrange your own airfare but you must land in Madrid by 8:45 a.m. (local time) March 1, to join the group transport to the hotel. Otherwise, you will need to make your own arrangements to the hotel from the airport.
Day 1 – 01 MAR (WED) – ARRIVE MADRID, SPAIN
- Meet your Globus Tour Director at the Madrid Airport
- Only one group transport, so must arrive within window
- Welcome dinner
Day 2 – 02 MAR (THU) – MADRID. EXCURSION TO TOLEDO
- Travel back through centuries of Spanish history to one of Europe’s best preserved walled medieval cities. Join an expert guide to explore this “City of Three Cultures” with its 13th-century architecture and magnificent Alcázar (castle fortress) dominating the skyline. Stroll along the cobblestone alleyways to experience this cultural melting pot of Jewish, Islamic, and Christian influence, and visit the 13th-century gothic cathedral, the Church of Santo Tomé with its masterpiece by El Greco, a synagogue, and a Damascene steel workshop to learn about the technique that inlays precious metals into steel.
- Entry into El Greco Museum to see his masterpieces
- Mass at Iglesia de San Ildefonso Jesuitas
- Return to Madrid for dinner at local restaurant including one glass of wine each
Day 3 – 03 MAR (FRI) – MADRID. EXCURSION TO ÁVILA
- After breakfast at your hotel this morning, enjoy free time.
- Explore the Walled City of Avila, famous for St. Teresa of Ávila
- Mass at Almudena Cathedral
- Dinner and Flamenco Show including one glass of wine per person
Day 4 – 04 MAR (SAT) – MADRID
- Morning panoramic coach tour of Madrid
- Afternoon guided tour of the Prado
- Mass at Saint Andres
- Tapas dinner with one glass of wine each at a local restaurant
Day 5 – 05 MAR (SUN) – MADRID – SEGOVIA – SAN SEBASTIAN
- After breakfast this morning, your Globus motorcoach will take you north to Segovia, one of the gems of Spain
- After an orientation drive of the city, visit the Royal Palace of La Granja de San Ildefonso near Segovia
- Continue on to San Sebastian
- Group dinner this evening at the hotel
Day 6 – 06 MAR (MON) – SAN SEBASTIAN
- Morning orientation coach tour of the city
- Afternoon free time to relax or explore
- Pintxos (think Basque tapas) tour in the Old Town and romantic area of San Sebastian includes 1 glass of wine each
Day 7– 07 MAR (TUE) – SAN SEBASTIAN – PAMPLONA – ZARAGOZA
- Morning drive to Pamplona, site of the Battle of Pamplona, which changed the course of St. Ignatius’ life.
- Enjoy an orientation drive of the city, before stopping for lunch (on your own)
- Afternoon visit to Azpeitia, the birthplace of St. Ignatius
- Tour the Shrine of Loyola and the Sanctuary of Ignatius, where Mass will be celebrated
- Continue onto Zaragoza
- Dinner at local restaurant
Day 8 – 08 MAR (WED) – ZARAGOZA – BARCELONA
- Mass at Basilica Nuestra Senora del Pilar
- Private guided tour of the Goya Museum with local docent
- Continue to Barcelona
- Dinner at local restaurant
Day 9 – 09 MAR (THU) – BARCELONA
- Panoramic coach orientation tour of Barcelona
- Mass at the Crypt at Sagrada Familia (9:00am)
- Entrance to Gaudi’s Sagrada Familia and Park Güell
- After lunch (on your own) guided tour of Plaza Real
- Learn how to make Sangria, Spain’s most popular drink, then savor authentic Spanish Paella. One glass of wine per person is included.
Day 10– 10 MAR (FRI) – BARCELONA. EXCURSION TO MANRESA AND MONTSERRAT
- Tour Cave de San Ignacio in Manresa
- Montserrat Rack Railway (also known as Cremallera) to Santa Maria de Montserrat.
- Afternoon to enjoy the Abbey
- Return to the base of the mountain via Aeri Funicular
- Dinner with one glass of wine per person at local restaurant in Barcelona
Day 11 – 11 MAR (SAT) – DEPART BARCELONA, SPAIN
- One group transfer from your Globus hotel to the Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas Airport for your flight back to the United States.
Passports are Required
1. You must have at least two blank pages in your passport
2. Your passport must be valid for at least another six months!
** if fewer than 34 register, costs may go up slightly.