Where we Are
Approximately 400 Jesuits belong to the USA Central and Southern (UCS) Province and serve the states of:
- Southern Illinois
- New Mexico
The province also serves the Central American country of Belize and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
Jesuit roots in this broad swath of America go back to the 16th century. As the country grew, two provinces developed: the New Orleans and Missouri provinces. On July 31, 2014, they combined to create the U.S. Central and Southern Province. On Dec. 3, 2014, the Jesuits in Puerto Rico became part of the province.
U.S. Central and Southern Province, Society of Jesus
Jesuits USA Central and Southern Province
Father Thomas P. Greene, SJ, is the second provincial superior of the UCS Province.
Apostolates – Our Ministries
Six institutions of higher education:
- Loyola University New Orleans
- Regis University
- Rockhurst University
- Spring Hill College
- Saint Louis University
- St. John’s College in Belize.
Twelve secondary schools:
- Arrupe Jesuit High (Denver)
- Colegio San Ignacio (San Juan, P.R.)
- Cristo Rey Jesuit College Prep (Houston)
- De Smet Jesuit High (St. Louis)
- Jesuit College Preparatory School (Dallas)
- Jesuit High (New Orleans)
- Jesuit High (Tampa)
- Regis Jesuit High (Denver)
- Rockhurst High (Kansas City, Mo.)
- St. John’s College High School (Belize City, Belize)
- St. Louis University High
- Strake Jesuit College Prep (Houston).
Pre-secondary education: Loyola Academy in St. Louis and Academia San Ignacio de Loyola in San Juan, Puerto Rico, as well as several parish schools.
Retreats and Spirituality Centers
The core spirituality that began with the personal experience of St. Ignatius’s conversion continues at seven retreat houses and spirituality centers that offer Ignatian retreats and training in Ignatian Spirituality:
- White House Retreat in St. Louis
- Manresa House of Retreats in Convent, La.;
- Sacred Heart Jesuit Retreat House in Sedalia, Colo.;
- Ignatian Spirituality Center in Kansas City, Mo.;
- Montserrat Retreat House in Lake Dallas, Texas;
- Our Lady of the Oaks Retreat House in Grand Coteau, La.;
- Jesuit Spirituality Center in Grand Coteau.
Jesuits begin their formation with two years of study and apostolic ministry based at the Jesuit Novitiate of St. Stanislaus Kostka at St. Charles College in Grand Coteau.